Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Brave Souls

I just got back from a public talk by Jeff Halper, the head of the Israeli Committee against House Demolitions. People like him make you feel so small and insignificant! What a brave thing to oppose your state, expose its racial policies, call things by their real names (I am referring to Apartheid here), and transform your anger into positive action. I wish I could have the privilege of rebuilding the houses of the Palestinians the way he does! The talk was certainly informative and inspiring to many in the audience. The room where he gave his talk can accommodate 400 people. It was packed and there was an overflow. He was a guest in my class in the afternoon as well. If there is anything that one cannot escape observing during this savage attack on Gaza is that Israel, so far, has lost so much. The most important loss, beside not being able so far to make it up for its big-time loss in Lebanon, is the international sympathy for the Palestinians its attack on Gaza has generated or renewed. Between my CTV interview, participation in a demonstration, class discussion and this talk, I can safely conclude that Israel has lost the PR stuff with the general public opinion. It is a different story with governments and many media outlets... but that is the point: it is a very different story with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment